This Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice is a one-pot rendition of my Cheesy Baked Chicken and Broccoli Rice recipe. If you’ve been with me for a while then you’ll know I have a big affinity for broccoli and cheddar together, especially when you throw a little chicken in the mix!
I think y’all will enjoy this one quite a bit, if only because it’s much less involved than your traditional casseroles, and you won’t even need your oven. It’s also ready in much less time – around half an hour. What could be better? Not much, I’ll tell ya.
One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice Ingredients
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are useful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice recipe:
- Broccoli florets, yellow onion: Broccoli florets meaning the parts that look like trees. If they’re super large break them up into smaller trees. We want bite-sized pieces that cook quickly, and that fit on our fork.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts: Slice them thinly with a chef’s knife, not vertically into cutlets, but down the surface horizontally into tiny little strips. If you’d like to use thighs feel free, just trim off as much of the fat as you can before you chop them up. We don’t want greasy One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice.
- Long-grain white rice: I used one cup of Ben’s Original and one cup of Indian Basmati in the video I pushed to my socials making this one. Use two cups total of whatever your favorite long-grain variety is. You can wash your rice if you want, but I don’t.
- Sharp cheddar cheese, monterrey jack, gournay cheese: I’m new to Boursin cheeses, but I’m loving them so far! For this One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice, I used their classic Garlic & Herb variety. I also used sharp white cheddar cheese, and I had a bit of monterrey jack leftover from another meal so I added that too. If you don’t have Boursin you can substitute cream cheese, and yellow cheddar would be fine instead of white.
- Whole milk, chicken broth: Chicken broth for cooking down the rice, whole milk for creating the creamy sauciness that makes this similar to regular ol’ broccoli cheddar casserole.
- Butter, olive oil: Salted or unsalted, it doesn’t matter. Olive oil is for getting the seasonings to adhere to the chicken, and can be substituted for another oil – just make sure it’s one with a high smoke point since we’re searing the chicken. We don’t want it to burn.
- All-purpose seasoning, seasoned salt, paprika, granulated garlic, dry mustard, cracked black pepper, cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper flakes: If you can’t find all-purpose seasoning, poultry seasoning, or cajun seasoning both would work fine. You could also just use more seasoned salt. Speaking of seasoned salt, you can substitute it with kosher salt if you want. As always, make sure to adjust it to taste. You’re eating this One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice, not me!
How to Make One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice
Full instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a basic overview of what you’ll need to do, along with some important tidbits to help you make the most of this One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice recipe:
- Prepare the Chicken. Grab a large saute pan that can hold at least 4 quarts in volume – this makes a hefty portion of One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice and place it on the stove. Turn the heat on to medium-high and allow the pan to preheat while you prep the chicken. Add the chicken to a mixing bowl and toss in the olive oil, all-purpose seasoning, paprika, granulated garlic, dry mustard, and cayenne pepper. Stir well to combine, making sure all the pieces of chicken are well seasoned.
- Cook the Chicken and Rice. Add the chicken to the pan and spread it out into a single layer. Allow it to sear, undisturbed for 5 minutes, then flip. Let it cook on the opposite side, then stir it up a bit and continue cooking until no more pink remains. Remove the chicken from the pan and set it aside. Add the butter and onion to the pan. Allow the butter to melt, stirring occasionally until the onions are softened and deepened in color, about 3-4 minutes. Add your rice to the pan along with a few pinches of seasoned salt. Stir to get the rice coated in the butter, and allow the rice to toast, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes. Pour in the chicken broth, give it a stir, and bring it to a boil. Once that happens, reduce the heat to low and cover it with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes, until the liquid has reduced and the rice is peeking out.
- Add the Broccoli and Cheese. Increase the heat to medium and add the broccoli, and gournay cheese along with half of the milk, half of the shredded cheese, and one teaspoon of seasoned salt. Stir them together, then replace the lid. Allow to cook for 3-4, until the cheese has melted and the broccoli has turned bright green.
- Finish the One-Pot Cheesy Broccoli Chicken and Rice. Remove the lid and stir in the remaining milk and cheese. Once everything is well combined give it a taste. Stir in more seasoned salt, if needed, then return the lid and turn off the heat. Dassit!
Obligatory Pinterest Graphic –