This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the top to help me keep this website running. It doesn’t cost you extra or affect my opinion.
I’d say this is your standard Broccoli Cheese Casserole, with rice and chicken, but without the cream soup. I do not like cream soups. Maybe it’s the way they kinda *plop* out when you shake the can I dunno.
I’m calling it Cheesy Baked Chicken & Broccoli Rice because I am terrible at naming dishes, but I refuse to call this a casserole.
I made this on Instagram earlier this week and many of you messaged me that you’d like for me to include it in my next cookbook (ASOIG is on sale this week for 25% off btw!).
I have no idea when I’ll be putting out another one so I’m just dropping it here.
- Substitute the cheddar for any other cheese you’d like. Good options are parmesan, smoked gouda, and pepper jack.
- Optional: sprinkle a layer of shredded cheese over the top of the dish before you bake it.
- It’s not spicy, but if you’re sensitive to heat feel free to omit the cayenne and hot sauce.
- If you prefer softer broccoli you can steam it in the microwave with a few tablespoons of water for 3-4 minutes before adding to the sauce.
I’ve posted a YouTube Tutorial for this Cheesy Baked Chicken & Broccoli Rice on my channel, so check that out if you’d like a visual reference.
If you enjoy this recipe, you might also like my Blackened Chicken & Broccoli Pot Pies.Print
Cheesy Baked Chicken & Broccoli Rice
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 10 1x
It’s basically broccoli rice casserole.
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 oz Velveeta, cubed
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp AP flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika, divided
- 1/2 tsp of seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp all purpose or poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- olive oil, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Start on your rice by adding the rice and water to a medium saucepan and bringing to a boil over medium high heat. Once the rice is boiling, salt it lightly, stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook while you prepare everything else, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.
- Season your chicken with all of the all purpose seasoning, add to the pan and cook until no pink remains, about 6 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining butter. Allow to melt.
- Add your onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and use a whisk to combine thoroughly. You don’t want any lumps of flour.
- Allow the roux to cook for about 3 minutes, then begin adding your milk in small increments.
- Once you’ve added about half of the milk, add your seasonings and hot sauce. Add the rest of the milk and combine, whisking thoroughly.
- Add your chicken and velveeta to the sauce and stir. Ensure the velveeta is 100% melted before continuing to the next step.
- Stir in your grated cheese, then your broccoli.
- Once everything is combined, allow it to cook over low heat for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your 11×13″ baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray or greasing it with oil or shortening.
- Pour your rice into the dish, followed by the chicken, broccoli and cheese sauce. Stir to combine, then spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle on the reamining paprika and your black pepper, then bake on the middle rack for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Dassit. Enjoy. Let me know what you think!
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 30
Keywords: broccoli and cheese, baked, rice, chicken, cassserole, dish
Chicken Pastry • deepfriedhoneyApril 8, 2020 at 9:07 pm
[…] There’s a video tutorial for this recipe live on my YouTube channel, and you can find more photos on Instagram. Looking for more comforting chicken dishes? Check out Mom’s Chicken Salad and Cheesy Baked Chicken & Rice. […]
Broccoli Cheddar Stuffed Chicken • deepfriedhoneyJuly 30, 2021 at 12:40 pm
[…] let me go on and plug my other broccoli cheese recipes: if you haven’t already check out my Cheesy Baked Chicken & Broccoli Rice, Broccoli Chicken and Cheddar Hand Pies, and Cast-Iron Broccoli and Cheese recipes. There are more, […]