This recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup has been housed in my ebook We Got Food at The House for the past couple of years, and now it’s here! It hasn’t changed too much: I increased the amount of vegetable stock called for and simplified the instructions a bit.
Broccoli Cheddar Soup Ingredients
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are useful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe:
- Sharp cheddar cheese: Or extra sharp. Don’t use anything milder than sharp or else it won’t taste very much like cheddar. Use yellow/orange cheese too: the Broccoli Cheddar Soup might look weird if you use white.
- Broccoli florets, carrot: You can use the whole head of broccoli if you want, just cut the stalks into small pieces. Grate the carrot – we only really want the slight sweetness it’ll add.
- Vidalia onion, garlic: Yellow or sweet will work if you can’t find Vidalia. White and red will too, but don’t opt for those if you have a choice.
- Vegetable stock, heavy cream, whole milk: It’s not soup without liquid! Mostly vegetable stock – chicken stock will work too – with heavy cream and milk to make the Broccoli Cheddar Soup creamy.
- All-purpose flour: To thicken things up a bit, and make them creamier in the end.
- Salted butter: To saute the aromatics, and marry with the flour to make the roux to thicken things.
- Seasoned salt, dry mustard powder, cracked black pepper, paprika, cayenne pepper: Flavorings! Dry mustard to bring out the cheddar flavor, cayenne to heighten the broccoli, seasoned salt because it’s better than regular salt (regular Kosher salt works just fine), and cracked black pepper for color, texture and zip.
How to Make Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Full instructions are included in the recipe below and you can watch me make this on Instagram, but here is a basic overview of what you’ll need to do, along with some important tidbits to help you make the most of this Broccoli Cheddar Soup recipe:
- Saute the aromatics. Add the butter to a large, heavy-bottomed pot and melt. Add in the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the garlic and cook a minute more, just until fragrant.
- Build the roux. Add the remaining butter and melt, then sprinkle in the flour. Allow the flour and butter to make a roux, and whisk as it cooks for a few minutes – make sure to allow it to thicken into a sort of paste, or the soup will not thicken correctly later.
- Make it soup! Stir in the stock, milk, and cream and simmer over medium-low for 15 minutes. Add in your seasonings and vegetables and continue to simmer over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until the broccoli is tender to your liking.
- Finish the Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Turn off the heat. Stir in the shredded cheese and allow to melt. Serve immediately. It’ll store in an airtight container in the fridge for about 3-4 days.
Obligatory Pinterest Graphic –