This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the top to help me keep this website running. It doesn’t cost you extra or affect my opinion.
[March 2nd, 2023: This Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo w. Chicken post has been updated. The recipe hasn’t been changed at all outside of being reorganized; I’ve updated the post to include tips, tricks, and suggestions to ensure you get the most out of this recipe.]
So I don’t really care what you do in your kitchen – it’s yours, not mine; have fun – but you should really try making your own Alfredo sauce! In general, I think it’s debatable that everything tastes better made from scratch, but here’s one thing that definitely does – and it’s really easy!
One of my youngins loves cooking as much as I do, and this Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo was the first thing I taught her to make. Below is the same very simple recipe that I gave here, one that I use as a foundation for other sauces like Cajun Alfredo, and Tomato Basil Alfredo.
Once you have this simple version mastered, switch it up and play around! Change out the proteins, add some vegetables, and maybe some other cheeses. The world is your oyster and I don’t care what Twitter says, no one really gets tired of pasta alfredo.
Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo Ingredients
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are useful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo recipe:
- Fettuccine: It’s not Fettuccine Alfredo without Fettuuccine! But my preferred vehicle for alfredo is actually cavatappi, so you do what feels right.
- Chicken breasts: Thighs will work too if that’s what you’re into. Feel free to switch up the seasonings and add an extra flair to your Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo with Chicken.
- Heavy cream: If you’re sensitive to lactose you can substitute plant-based milk or a lactose-free cream. You can also substitute half-and-half. If you like a very saucy pasta – like leaves a pool of sauce at the bottom of the bowl for you to drink when the noodles are gone – either increase the amount of heavy cream by half a cup, or reserve a cup of pasta water after you cook the fettuccine and add that to the pasta along with the alfredo. If you increase the liquid called for in the recipe you might also need to increase the salt called for as well.
- Parmesan cheese: It’s not alfredo sauce without parmesan! Aged parmesan is my preference. Between you and me, asiago would be a great substitute.
- Butter: I opt for salted typically, but I suggest unsalted butter in recipes so you can easily adjust the salt level for your personal tastes. Everyone is different. It makes up a large component of the sauce, and we use it to cook the chicken, too.
- Garlic, flat leaf parsley: Our fresh aromatics, our only things to mince. Increase or decrease the amounts as you see fit. I generally use like a million garlic cloves.
- Kosher salt, Italian seasoning: Our very simple seasonings.
- Olive oil: For cooking the chicken, along with the butter.
Other Alfredo Recipes You Might Enjoy
Chicken Alfredo Stuffed Shells
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the…December 20, 2021
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo
I debated whether or not to add this Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe to…April 12, 2021
One-Pot Fettuccine Alfredo
One-Pot Fettuccine Alfredo is a take on classic Fettuccine Alfredo, but with less cleanup!…June 22, 2020
This was a requested recipe! I hope you’re inspired to try it out if you haven’t before. You can find videos and more photos on Instagram and a tutorial on Youtube.
Someone emailed me recently and said this recipe helped her master Fettuccine Alfredo for the first time after many failed attempts and that made my day.
Hopefully, you enjoy this Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo with chicken recipe.
Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo w. Chicken
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
Tender chicken and fettuccine tossed in a creamy white sauce.
- 1 lb dry fettuccine noodles
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded to an even thickness
- 2 C heavy cream
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp dry Italian seasoning, divided
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp flat leaf parsley, minced
- 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- Begin by preparing salted water to boil your noodles in. While the water heats, melt 6 tbsp of butter on medium-low heat, then add garlic. Cook until fragrant.
- Whisk in heavy cream and half of all listed seasonings. When warmed through, whisk in the Parmesan cheese.
- Reduce heat to just medium-low and continue to cook down, uncovered, for about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- The water should be boiling by now, so while the alfredo sauce is cooking, prepare noodles according to package directions and start chicken.
- Preheat a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat and season chicken thoroughly all over with the other half of the seasonings. Season to taste, of course.
- Add remaining 2 tbsp of butter to the skillet, along with olive oil. Coat the bottom, then add the chicken. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 5-8 minutes on each side. You may need to add more oil. When done, transfer to a cutting board and allow to rest.
- Combine the noodles and alfredo sauce, and sprinkle in parsley. After the chicken has rested for a few minutes, dice it into bite-sized pieces and stir into pasta. You’re done. Dassit!
- Want saucier pasta? Reserve a cup of pasta water when draining the noodles, and add that to the cooked pasta along with the alfredo sauce. Read the post above the recipe for more tips and suggestions.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
Why yes, I was listening to Domesticated Misandrist while I was cooking.
VmeliAugust 17, 2019 at 8:40 pm
Your awesome thanks
MaríaAugust 17, 2019 at 8:41 pm
You’re welcome!! <3
SolisAugust 19, 2019 at 12:55 am
JUST made this & let me tell you… best Alfredo sauce I have ever eaten. I’ve tried to make homemade sauce before and it never turned out right, your recipe is easy to follow and it’s soooo delicious. Thank you for sharing!
MaríaAugust 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm
Yay, thank you for letting me know! So glad you liked it
Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo Pasta • deepfriedhoneyApril 12, 2021 at 1:48 pm
[…] Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo recipe to the website. It’s pretty much just a mashup of the Creamy Fettuccine Alfredo w. Chicken and the Cajun Chicken Pasta recipes already here, so it seemed […]