Here’s an easy and inexpensive breakfast option for you: Bacon Fried Potatoes! Well, if you use beef bacon like I do it’s not really inexpensive, but kinda? Cheaper than other breakfast options at least, I’ll just leave it at that lmao.
Bacon Fried Potatoes are exactly what they sound like: potatoes fried in bacon grease! You can opt to dice the potatoes into small pieces, but I like slicing them. It’s a little harder to keep them from breaking up as you cook them, but worth the extra delicateness.
Ingredients You’ll Need For Bacon Fried Potatoes
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are useful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Bacon Fried Potatoes recipe:
- Baby potatoes: Red or yellow. Russet potatoes will just crumble as they cook. If you can’t find baby potatoes, just pick up the absolute smallest ones you can find.
- Beef bacon: Pork will work if you’re a pig eater. Turkey will not, unless you add hella oil or butter to make up for the lack of fat. These are Bacon Fried Potatoes so adding oil to fry them kind of defeats the purpose, huh?
- Smoked paprika, ground oregano, seasoned salt, cracked black pepper: Simple, straight forward, seasonings. Switch them up as you see fit. The Chipotle Spice Blend recipe I posted earlier in the week would be a good all-in-one option.
- Garlic, shallot: Aromatics! You can substitute onions for the shallot, and the powdered versions are fine.
- Vegetable oil: Just enough to help the seasonings adhere to the potato slices. If needed you can add a bit to the pan if the bacon grease is used up before the potatoes are done.
How to Make Bacon Fried Potatoes
Full instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a basic overview of what you’ll need to do, along with some important tidbits to help you make the most of this Bacon Fried Potatoes recipe:
- Prepare the potatoes. In a medium sized mixing bowl toss together the sliced potatoes, the vegetable oil, seasoned salt, black pepper, smoked paprika and oregano. Make sure the potatoes are evenly coated in the oil and seasonings, then set the bowl aside.
- Fry the bacon. Place a 10″ skillet over medium-high heat and allow it to preheat for one minute. After a minute reduce the heat to medium, add the bacon and try to spread it out into an even layer. Cook until all of the fat has rendered and the meat has become crisp, around 7-10 minutes. Once the bacon is crispy use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the grease. Add the minced shallot and garlic to the pan, stirring as it cooks just until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Fry the Bacon Fried Potatoes. Add the potatoes to the pan. Toss them around to get them coated in the bacon grease and to distribute the shallots and garlic, then spread them into an even layer. Reduce the hat to medium-low and cover the pan with a lid. Allow the potatoes to cook undisturbed for 7 minutes.
- FINISH THEM. Uncover the potatoes and use a spatula to flip the potatoes over and toss around to brown the other side. Leave the potatoes uncovered and continue cooking for 10-12 more minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender and browned to your liking, turning them occasionally as needed. Dassit!
What To Serve With Bacon Fried Potatoes
You can make endless meals with this Bacon Fried Potatoes recipe as a side. For example, you could…
Obligatory Pinterest graphics –