This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the top to help me keep this website running. It doesn't cost you extra or affect my opinion.
Vegetable Fried Rice is a quick and easy side dish I make about once per week for meal prep. Fried rice is one of those things that’s easily ordered, and almost as easily made. As long as you start with cold rice, the rest is a breeze.
Before we get into the recipe, tho, I need to share a little not-exactly food related information.
All Black Lives Matter has been in the footer of this website since it’s inception back in 2018. My heart’s gladdened to see it now spread far and wide across food blogs and publications all over the world. Although I know much of it is performative, silence is compliance so it is the very least they can do. I hope it’s followed by real action and affects real change.
You might have noticed recently that I’ve started running advertisements on deepfriedhoney.com. I made this decision because I needed to do something to help offset the costs of providing you with all of this content (I really don’t plan on ever monetizing my Instagram, as puzzling as that is to some folks).
If the ads bother you just consider that these recipes are free for you to consume, but not free at all for me to provide.
My ad management company is Mediavine and they’ve provided an option to their publishers to donate all unsold ad space to their We Stand With You initiative, and I signed up. Clicking on any of the ads will take you to a page where they’ve collected resources for educating yourself about and taking action against anti-Black racism.
My participation doesn’t mean I endorse all of the resources gathered on Mediavine’s website. For example, I do not support the ‘8 Can’t Wait’ police reform initiative listed there. I’m an abolitionist:
That aside, there is much to be gained from reviewing the content and I hope all of my white and non-Black POC readers will take part.
No Justice, No Peace!
Alright, now back to the food (if any of the above bothered you pls GTFO off my website, thanks)! This Vegetable Fried Rice is full of fluffy scrambled eggs, grated carrots, sliced broccoli, minced onions, and chopped scallions.
Switch it Up:
- You can swap out or add any other vegetables you want. Corn and bell peppers are two of my favorites.
- You can substitute liquid aminos for the soy sauce.
- I rarely have fresh ginger on hand, but if you do use that instead of dry ginger powder.
- Use regular salted butter in place of garlic butter if you don’t have any but don’t skip the butter unless you have to, it adds great flavor and color. If you’re looking for a Garlic Butter recipe, there’s one in my newest ebook “Who Made the Potato Salad?” and so are the Honey Garlic Salmon Bites pictured on top of the fried rice below.
If you make this recipe come back and rate it, and let me know what you thought! Looking for another easy rice dish? My One-Pot Dirty Rice is pretty great.
Pin this recipe to your Pinterest board:
Vegetable Fried Rice
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- 4 C cold cooked rice
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp garlic butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 C broccoli florets, chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 small yellow onion, minced
- 4 green onion stalks, chopped
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 1 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus more as needed
- Cook your rice the night before for best results. It needs to be completely chilled for best results.
- Steam your broccoli for 4 minutes, in the microwave or on the stove. It should be that bright green color.
- In a small mixing bowl, scramble 4 eggs with a pinch of salt until no streaks remain. Set aside.
- Heat a wok or large frying pan over medium-high heat. Drizzle in some vegetable oil and let it heat up.
- Add your carrots and the minced yellow onion. Add a pinch of salt, then the ground ginger. Stir, allowing the carrots to soften and the onion to begin to brown.
- Toss in the broccoli.
- Remove the vegetables to a large bowl and set aside.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add more oil to the pan, then pour in your eggs. Scramble the eggs with a silicone spatula.
- When the eggs are done push them to the side and add half of the garlic butter. When it melts add the green onion stalks and toss everything together.
- Add the cooked rice and stir it together. Pour in your soy sauce, sesame oil, and stir well. Make sure the liquids are evenly distributed throughout the rice.
- Add your cooked veggies, the remaining garlic butter, the red pepper flakes, and the sesame seeds. Toss one more time.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and serve hot.
- Prep Time: 30
- Cook Time: 15
ShaTyraJune 13, 2020 at 3:12 pm
I love your website, your vibe, your professionalism, and your activism! Much Respect ✊? #allblacklivesmatterALWAYS
Stir Fry Noodles: Sweet and Spicy! • deepfriedhoneyAugust 20, 2021 at 12:21 pm
[…] into noodles? Do you like rice? Silly question, of course you do, so make Vegetable Fried Rice […]