This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the top to help me keep this website running. It doesn’t cost you extra or affect my opinion.
I’ve been meaning to get this Lemon Parmesan Asparagus recipe up for over a year, so y’all get two recipes today! Earlier today I posted my recipe for Onion-Roasted Potatoes, in case you missed it!
Lemon Parmesan Asparagus Ingredients
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are useful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Lemon Parmesan Asparagus recipe:
- Asparagus: The star of the show! You’ll want to cut off or shave down the thickest part of the stalks after washing. To make it easier to eat the spears can be cut into thirds – just reduce the cooking time a tad.
- Lemon juice: Brings a punch to the parmesan, and brightens the flavor of the asparagus. Confession: if I make this for only myself I omit the lemon because I’m not a huge fan of the flavor in savory foods (the same goes for lime). If you’re not either, feel free to follow suit.
- Aged Parmesan: Salty, savory, and slightly nutty – it goes so well with asparagus! If you can’t find aged, regular parm will do. Romano Pecorino is a great substitute.
- Olive Oil: You can use whatever type of oil you like, as long as the smoke point is decent because we’re cooking these at a high temp.
- Kosher Salt: It’s hard to say how much salt you’ll need, not only because taste is subjective, but because it varies. The saltiness of the parmesan has a lot to do with it. I usually use about 1/4 teaspoon.
- Equipment: In the photos, you see a 10″ cast iron skillet. I have also used a 9×13 glass baking dish and a roasting pan and it’s turned out well each time. Here is all the equipment needed:
How to Make Lemon Parmesan Asparagus
Full instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a basic overview of what you’ll need to do, along with some important tidbits to help you make the most of this Lemon Parmesan Asparagus:
- Prepare your pan. Preheat the oven to 425°F, I listed the equipment I usually use for this recipe above. Whatever you choose to use, make sure to spray it with a bit of baking spray or rub some olive oil along the inside so the vegetables and cheese don’t stick.
- Prepare the asparagus. Add the asparagus directly to the pan, along with the oil, parmesan, and salt. Toss together to coat the asparagus spears evenly, spread out into one layer. Drizzle or squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
- Roast it. Place on the middle or top oven rack and let it cook! How long depends very much on how tender you like it. Start checking around 9 minutes, and I wouldn’t let it go any longer than 15 unless you’ve got some seriously thick spears even after trimming.
How to Make Lemon Parmesan Asparagus On The Stovetop:
If you don’t feel like fooling with your oven, this Lemon Parmesan Asparagus can easily be made on the stove! Grab a cast iron pan (at least 10″ across) and follow the steps below…
- Preheat the pan and oil. Place your cast-iron skillet over medium heat and drizzle in just enough olive oil to coat the pan. Let it heat for a couple of minutes until the oil is shimmering.
- Add the asparagus. Add the asparagus – make sure you dry it thoroughly after washing to prevent splatter – to the pan and sprinkle over a fat pinch of salt, then toss the asparagus around with tongs to coat in the olive oil. Continue stirring occasionally while you cook for 7-10 minutes.
- Finish with parmesan. This is where the recipe really varies from the oven method. When the asparagus is almost tender to your liking, sprinkle over the parmesan, then toss to coat. Spread the asparagus out in an even layer and let it cook undisturbed for a couple of minutes longer, until the stems are fork-tender.
- Optional: Before you finish with parmesan, stir in a small pat of butter. Then continue as listed.
As always, here’s the Pinterest graphic:Print
Lemon Parmesan asparagus
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
It’s way easier than it tastes.
- 1 lb asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1/4 C aged parmesan, grated
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425°F and grease a 9×13 baking dish or roasting pan.
- Add your asparagus to the dish and drizzle with olive oil, then sprinkle on the salt and parmesan. Toss to coat the asparagus evenly, then squeeze the lemon juice over the top.
- Roast in the oven for 10-13 minutes, until the thickest part of the spear is just fork tender. Or longer, until they’re limp and lifeless if you’re like the rest of my family and that’s how you prefer them. Dassit!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 15
Onion Roasted Potatoes with Scratch Made Soup Mix • deepfriedhoneyMarch 25, 2021 at 11:27 am
[…] tips and Lemon-Parmesan Asparagus (as pictured […]