It’s basically broccoli rice casserole.
- 1 lb broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts, sliced thin
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 4 cups water
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese, shredded
- 16 oz Velveeta, cubed
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp AP flour
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika, divided
- 1/2 tsp of seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp all purpose or poultry seasoning
- 1/4 tsp ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp hot sauce
- 1/4 tsp cracked black pepper
- olive oil, as needed
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF.
- Start on your rice by adding the rice and water to a medium saucepan and bringing to a boil over medium high heat. Once the rice is boiling, salt it lightly, stir and cover. Reduce heat to medium low and allow to cook while you prepare everything else, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add a tablespoon of olive oil and a tablespoon of butter.
- Season your chicken with all of the all purpose seasoning, add to the pan and cook until no pink remains, about 6 minutes. Remove from the pan.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil and the remaining butter. Allow to melt.
- Add your onions and cook until translucent and soft, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the onions, and use a whisk to combine thoroughly. You don’t want any lumps of flour.
- Allow the roux to cook for about 3 minutes, then begin adding your milk in small increments.
- Once you’ve added about half of the milk, add your seasonings and hot sauce. Add the rest of the milk and combine, whisking thoroughly.
- Add your chicken and velveeta to the sauce and stir. Ensure the velveeta is 100% melted before continuing to the next step.
- Stir in your grated cheese, then your broccoli.
- Once everything is combined, allow it to cook over low heat for a few minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare your 11×13″ baking dish by spraying it with nonstick spray or greasing it with oil or shortening.
- Pour your rice into the dish, followed by the chicken, broccoli and cheese sauce. Stir to combine, then spread out evenly.
- Sprinkle on the reamining paprika and your black pepper, then bake on the middle rack for 30-45 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbling.
- Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
- Dassit. Enjoy. Let me know what you think!
Keywords: broccoli and cheese, baked, rice, chicken, cassserole, dish