This post may contain affiliate links, which means I get a little off the top to help me keep this website running. It doesn’t cost you extra or affect my opinion.
Cornbread is one of my favorite things. Fluffy, sweet cornbread that’s almost like cake, specifically. Not really down with the thick, savory kind that sticks the roof of your mouth.
I eat it with everything from chili to fried chicken. Below is a recipe for one of my favorite variations, drizzled with honey and baked in the same cast iron skillet you use to brown your butter.
If you don’t have or don’t want to use a cast iron skillet (why tho?), this cornbread can also be made in a regular 9″ baking pan or into muffins or loaves.
It’s pretty versatile, but you may need to adjust the baking time. If it’s golden brown but you’re not sure it’s cooked throughout, stick a toothpick down the middle: it should come out clean.
Alternatively, you can just jiggle the pan a bit: the center(s) should be firmly set. Tent with foil and continue to cook if needed.
Brush the top with butter and/or drizzle with more honey when you remove it from the oven. I recommend giving it a couple of minutes
Check out the video tutorial for this recipe on IGTV, and follow me at @deepfriedhoney for more photos and videos.Print
Browned Butter Honey Cornbread
- Total Time: 40 minutes
Sweet, fluffy cornbread baked in browned butter, drizzled with honey.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Combine buttermilk and baking powder; set aside.
- Melt the unsalted butter over medium heat in a 10.25″ cast iron skillet, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, add cornmeal, flour, and salt. Stir together with a fork.
- In a separate bowl beat your eggs until no streaks remain, then whisk in sugar. Whisk in buttermilk mixture, then melted butter.
- Place your skillet back on the burner, over medium-low heat. Add salted butter and begin to brown, stirring frequently.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the dry and combine thoroughly, until only small lumps remain.
- When the butter is browned, pour your batter directly into the skillet. Use a silicone spatula to smooth the batter out so it’s evenly distributed, without disturbing the edges. Drizzle with honey.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. It should be golden brown, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
JadeFebruary 19, 2020 at 7:58 pm
How many eggs do you use??
MaríaFebruary 19, 2020 at 8:18 pm
MauriciaJune 24, 2020 at 11:18 am
If your cast iron is half the size of the one in the recipe do you cut the ingredients in half also?
MaríaSeptember 2, 2020 at 10:02 am
Cornbread Cake: Cake Mix Cornbread! • deepfriedhoneyJuly 6, 2021 at 12:37 pm
[…] I mentioned in my Browned Butter Honey Cornbread post, I love eating sweet, fluffy cornbread. I also just enjoy making cornbread, so I’ve got […]
María's Favorite Chili • deepfriedhoneyNovember 8, 2021 at 11:04 am
[…] a must every single time I whip up a batch – how about some cornbread? Pictured above is my Browned Butter Honey Cornbread, but any of my cornbread recipes will […]