Sweet, fluffy cornbread baked in browned butter, drizzled with honey.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 tbsp salted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat your oven to 375ºF. Combine buttermilk and baking powder; set aside.
- Melt the unsalted butter over medium heat in a 10.25″ cast iron skillet, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a bowl, add cornmeal, flour, and salt. Stir together with a fork.
- In a separate bowl beat your eggs until no streaks remain, then whisk in sugar. Whisk in buttermilk mixture, then melted butter.
- Place your skillet back on the burner, over medium-low heat. Add salted butter and begin to brown, stirring frequently.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the dry and combine thoroughly, until only small lumps remain.
- When the butter is browned, pour your batter directly into the skillet. Use a silicone spatula to smooth the batter out so it’s evenly distributed, without disturbing the edges. Drizzle with honey.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes. It should be golden brown, and a toothpick or cake tester inserted in the center should come out clean.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Side Dish