This Garlic Parmesan Chicken is something I thought up on a whim last week when looking through my refrigerator tryna figure out what I was going to cook for dinner. Think garlic parmesan wings, but with boneless skinless chicken and cooked up in one single solitary pan. If you’re looking for a creamy version check out my Garlic Parmesan Cream Sauce, it’s yummy too!
This chicken is amazing with and in everything! Toss it on a salad, alongside some pasta, or add it to your favorite rice and veggie dish. Last night we had it in sandwiches made on garlic butter ciabatta with dressed greens and mozzarella and *kisses fingertips*.
Garlic Parmesan Chicken Ingredients
Feel free to jump to the full recipe, but here are helpful notes about the ingredients you will need to make this Garlic Parmesan Chicken recipe:
- Boneless skinless chicken: I always opt for chicken breasts, but thighs are fine. Any cut of chicken would work in this Garlic Parmesan Chicken recipe, honestly, you just might need to cook them longer.
- Butter: Salted or unsalted butter is fine. I like to use garlic herb butter for even more garlicky goodness. Banner Butter makes a really good one if you don’t feel like making it yourself.
- Garlic paste: I didn’t want bits of minced garlic in the sauce, so I opted for garlic paste. You can use either. If you’d like to make your own garlic paste at home just blend together a pound of garlic with about 1/4 cup of olive oil. Voila.
- Aged parmesan: I specify aged so that the flavor is more pungent and doesn’t disappear under all the garlic. It is called Garlic Parmesan Chicken after all.
- Calabrian peppers: Kinda spicy – you might think they’re VERY spicy – a touch sweet and salty, they add another layer of flavor that takes this sauce over the top!
- Chicken broth: Water will work, too, since you’ll be simmering the chicken in it. You might want to add a pinch of chicken bouillon or extra salt to the dish.
- Garlic pepper seasoning, kosher salt: I use Garlic Pepper Seasoning from Brass Cuisine and I think it’s the most perfect garlic pepper in the world! Use your favorite blend. I’ve included a recipe for homemade garlic pepper seasoning in the notes field below the recipe if you need one.
- Italian parsley: To add some freshness and a bit of herbaceousness to the Garlic Parmesan Chicken. And color!
How to Make Garlic Parmesan Chicken
Full instructions are included in the recipe below, but here is a basic overview of what you’ll need to do, along with some essential tidbits to help you make the most of this Garlic Parmesan Chicken recipe:
- Sear and season. Season your chicken liberally with garlic pepper seasoning and set it aside. In a 10″ skillet add the olive oil and allow the pan to preheat over medium-high heat for a full minute. Once the pan is hot add a small pat of the butter to the pan and swirl it around to coat the surface. Add the chicken to the pan in a single layer – cook it in batches if you need to – and allow it to sear undisturbed for 4 minutes, then flip and sear on the other side for 2-3 more minutes. Once all of the chicken has been seared remove it from the pan.
- Make the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the chicken broth to the pan and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any stuck-on bits, then add the remaining butter. Once the butter has melted add the garlic paste, diced peppers, and parsley to the pan. Stir everything together until combined into a sauce. Next, stir half of the grated parmesan into the sauce. Stir well until it’s fully incorporated.
- Simmer the Garlic Parmesan Chicken. Add the chicken back to the pan and turn each piece to coat in the sauce. Sprinkle the remaining grated parmesan over the top of the chicken. Bring to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cover with a lid. Cook until the chicken is cooked through (165°F internally but you can pull it up to 10° lower, and let carryover cooking finish it), about 7-10 minutes. It’ll depend on how thick your chicken is. Dassit!
Obligatory Pinterest Graphic options –