Watch me make this recipe on Facebook Reels!
- 1 (14 oz) package of rice noodles
- 2 (about 1 lb) boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 small red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 1/2 C white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1/2 C broccoli florets
- 1 C snap pea pods (whole pods)
- 1 C water
- 1/4 C soy sauce
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili garlic paste
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 1/2 tsp all-purpose seasoning
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp cornstarch + 2 tsp cold water, mixed into a slurry
- Oil, for sautéing
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and drizzle a bit of oil over the surface of a large – like 12” across, it should be a BIG – skillet or sauté pan (which is like a skillet with high sides). Let it preheat while you season the chicken and whip up the marinade.
- Make the marinade by whisking together the water, soy sauce, honey, olive oil, chili garlic paste, mirin, sesame oil, chicken bouillon powder, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes. Whisk it with GUSTO so everything is evenly distributed, then set it aside. Hit the chicken pieces with the all-purpose seasoning (use your favorite, and kosher salt works if that’s all you’ve got) and work it into the meat, then set that aside too.
- Once seasoned, add the chicken in a single layer to the pan and let cook undisturbed for 4 minutes. Leave it alone! Let it sear. After 4 minutes flip the chicken pieces and continue cooking until no pink remains. When that happens go ahead and pour the marinade into the pan. Toss the chicken in it to coat it, and bring everything to a low simmer and reduce the heat to medium.
- Around this point is when you’ll want to boil the rice noodles in salted water. Use a larger pot and a few cups more water than you would usually use because after the noodles have cooked for about 4 minutes, you’re gonna add the broccoli florets and let them boil along with the noodles for the remaining cook time. This should only be a few more minutes because rice noodles cook quickly. When everything is cooked thru, drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Stir the mushrooms, pea pods, and bell peppers into the skillet with the marinade and chicken, then add the black pepper and cornstarch slurry. Stir that in completely and let simmer for two minutes.
- Now it’s time to combine it all together. Depending on your cookware and preference you might want to mix it up in the pot you boiled the pasta and broccoli in – the high sides make it a lot less messy. I like to add the broccoli and noodles to the skillet and mix ‘em in that. If you choose the pot, make sure to place it on the burner you’re using (still set to medium) during this process. Stir everything together, and be thorough. Turn off the heat, and serve with some sesame seeds, chopped scallions, and sriracha for garnish. Dassit!
Read the post above the recipe for advice on substitutions and helpful suggestions.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Serving Size: 8
- Calories: 201
- Sugar: 12.9g
- Sodium: 464.2mg
- Fat: 4.2g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2g
- Fiber: 7.4g
- Protein: 9.4g
- Cholesterol: 5.2g