One of the best things I’ve ever eaten. In my life. No lie.
- 2 1/2 lbs lean steak, diced
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 large green bell peppers, diced
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 C Oaxaca cheese, shredded
- 1 1/2 tbsp New Mexico chili powder
- 2 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp tomato bouillon
- 1/2 tsp hot chile powder, optional
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- Tortillas, salsa for serving
- In a large bowl or Ziploc bag add the steak, chili powder, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, onion powder, tomato bouillon, hot chile powder, and liquid smoke. Stir or shake to ensure all the meat is thoroughly seasoned. Transfer to the refrigerator to marinate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- Place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon, spreading it out into an even layer. Fry the bacon until crispy, about 7–10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Transfer the bacon to a paper towel lined plate, making sure to let the excess grease drip back into the frying pan first.
- Add the onion and bell pepper to the pan. Stir to coat in the bacon grease, and cook for 2–3 minutes, just until the onion begins to soften and become translucent. Remove the onions and peppers from the pan, letting the excess oil drip off first.
- Increase the heat to high. Add the steak, spreading it out into an even layer. Allow it to cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-high again, and use a spatula to flip the pieces over and toss them. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until no pink remains.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the cooked bacon and peppers and onions back to the pan. Stir together. Once everything is well combined, turn off the heat and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle cheese liberally over the top of the alambre. Cover with a lid and let stand until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes. Dassit!
- I made a vegetarian version by omitting the bacon and using Beyond Steak and vegan Worcestershire.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes