Another recipe from my MIL, and it’s almost identical to every other Honey Bun Cake recipe in existence, from what I’ve seen on Pinterest.
- 1 box yellow cake mix (I like Duncan Hines’ Butter Golden)
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup melted butter
- 2 cups confectioner’s sugar
- 5 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Make the Cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF and grease a 9×13″ baking dish. Set it aside.
- Combine your cinnamon and brown sugar, and nutmeg in a small bowl and set that aside too.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a hand mixer – or your arms if your strength and endurance are up to it – beat together the cake mix, eggs, butter and sour cream just until smooth and fluffy.
- Pour half of that batter into your prepared dish, then sprinkle the brown sugar mixture over it, evenly. Cover it well.
- Pour the remaining batter over the top of the brown sugar and spread to cover it. I usually spoon dollops of batter all over the top of the brown sugar, then smooth it out with a spatula. Makes it easier.
- Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes. Use a cake tester or toothpick if you need it – it should be clean after sticking it in and pulling it straight back out of the center of the cake. If it looks wet, keep baking.
Make the Glaze:
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Category: desserts
- Cuisine: american