Have we talked about how much I love eating at the State Fair? You’ve never seen a happier María, I’m telling you. Let’s bring it home!
- 1 package Oreos (about 40 cookies)
- 1 3/4 C all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 C whole milk
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- oil for frying
- powdered sugar, for serving
- Grab a couple of mixing bowls. In one, whisk together all of the dry ingredients – except the powdered sugar. In the other, whisk together the wet.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients. Stir together well, getting out as many lumps as you can.
- Bring a few inches of oil to 350°F in a deep pot or deep skillet with high sides. Test the temperature by dipping your fork into the batter, then sticking it into the oil. It should start bubbling rapidly after a second or so. If it starts bubbling immediately it’s too hot. No or slow bubbling = too cold.
- Skewer an Oreo on a dinner fork and dip it into the batter. Rotate it slowly so the excess batter falls off and the Oreo is coated evenly.
- Use another fork to push the Oreo off of the fork it’s skewered on and gently into oil. Add as many Oreos as will fit without crowding and sticking together. When the edges are browned, use the fork to tip them over onto their other side. Fry until golden brown all over, then remove to a wire rack over a baking sheet to drain.
- Dust heavily with powdered sugar and serve immediately.
- Check the post above the recipe for more details and helpful tips.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10