Thick slices of bread coated in batter, fried until crisp.
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream or half + half
- 2/3 cup Self Rising flour
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1 french baguette, cut into 1” thick slices
- vegetable oil for frying
- Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl, and in a separate bowl beat together the cream, eggs, and vanilla. Make sure the eggs are beaten well.
Stir the dry ingredients into the wet – whisk until there are no lumps – and set everything aside while you heat your oil in a cast-iron skillet or frying pan. You want the oil to be about 1/2 way up the sides of the pan.
- When the oil is ready (around 365º F), coat your slices in the batter, allowing the excess to drip off. If your bread is heavy, or if you like a creamier middle, feel free to soak your bread for a couple of minutes.
- Carefully add slices to preheated oil, and cook until golden brown, then flip and cook the other side (3-5 minutes per). Cook in batches, ensuring not to crowd the pan.
- Remove and drain on a wire rack. Move the rack to your preheated oven to keep warm while you cook the rest.
- Serve immediately with desired toppings like powdered sugar, syrup or fruit compote.
- Serve with powdered sugar, fruit compote, syrup, etc.
- Category: Breakfast