- 1 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 5 slices beef bacon
- 3 medium bell peppers, sliced thinly
- 1 medium red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 large jalapeño, sliced thinly
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- 10 cups chicken broth, as needed
- 1 C long-grain rice, rinsed
- 3 tbsp fajita spice blend, divided
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt, to taste
- Place a dutch oven or over medium heat. Add the bacon in a single layer and fry until crisp, then remove to a cutting board. Let it cool to room temperature, then chop it up into small pieces and set it aside.
- Remove all of the bacon grease except about two teaspoons from the pan and increase the heat to high. Let the pan heat up for 45 seconds or so, then add the sliced bell peppers and cook for about 5-7 minutes, until they start to char a bit. Remove and set aside with the bacon.
- Season your chicken pieces with two tablespoons of the fajita spice blend (or 2/3 of a standard packet), then add to the pan in a single layer. Allow to cook undisturbed then use a spatula to flip and sear the other side. Remove to a plate to rest and reduce the heat again to medium.
- If the surface of the pan is dry add a bit more or fat, then add the onion and jalapeno slices. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 4 minutes until the onions become very fragrant, then stir in the garlic and cook a couple of minutes more.
- Next, move the sauteed aromatics to the side and add the rinsed and drained rice. Allow the rice to toast a bit and then stir everything together, just as the rice starts to deepen in color, which should take about 4 minutes.
- Pour in the tomatoes, beans, 9 cups of chicken broth, and all of the remaining fajita seasoning. Next, stir in the chicken and bring the soup to a low boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover with a lid and allow to simmer until the rice is cooked through. This should take about 15 minutes. If the soup seems to be drying out while cooking, add the remaining broth.
- Once the rice is tender, add the bacon pieces and bell pepper slices to the soup. Cover and simmer together for 5 more minutes, then remove from heat.
- Top with cojita or queso freso and minced cilantro. Or whatever you want! Dassit.
Read the recipe breakdown above the recipe for advice and substitutions.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 45