It’s hot af OK.
- 16 ounces jumbo elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Munster cheese
- 2 cups colby jack cheese
- 8 ounces Velveeta (diced into cubes)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1 stick unsalted butter (diced into cubes)
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Carolina Reaper flakes
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Preheat your oven to 400º and grease a 9×13″ pan and set aside.
- Shred your block cheeses, combine them, and set them aside too.
- In a medium saucepan, pour your milk and warm over medium heat. Stir in the Velveeta in small amounts, gradually, until completely melted. Add your seasonings and adjust as needed. Lower the heat to the lowest setting.
- While making the sauce, boil your macaroni. You want the noodles a tad undercooked. After you drain them, stir the cubed butter into the noodles and set aside.
- Now it’s time to temper your eggs: scoop about 1/3 cup of cheese sauce out, and pour into the eggs, whisking as you do. Repeat two or three times, whisking well between each addition. This slowly raises the temperature of your eggs. If you add too much sauce at once they will scramble, so go slowly. Once the eggs are heated, pour them into the cheese sauce along with 1/3 of the shredded cheeses. Stir to combine.
- Spoon half of the buttered macaroni into your prepared pan. Cover with 1/3 of the remaining shredded cheese, then ladle half of the cheese sauce over it. Pour on the rest of the macaroni, then 1/2 of the remaining shredded cheese, then pour on the rest of the cheese sauce. Cover the top evenly with the rest of the shredded cheese.
- Bake for about 30 minutes, uncovered. Top should be nice and browned.
- You can leave out the eggs if you like, but the texture of the final dish will be different.
- I make my own Carolina Reaper flakes and powders by crushing and grinding dried Carolina Reaper peppers, but many pepper companies have pepper powder/flakes for sale.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: American